Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Baby Food Fiasco

I got a new gadget for Christmas, the Magic Bullet, which can be used to make baby food among other things. I've been really excited to use it and finally got the chance last weekend. I thought I'd start with something easy like carrots. I steamed the carrots and then used the Bullet to puree them. Pretty easy! Before I go any further, I should say that Avery has eaten everything we've given her and she never makes a sour face. She might have a perplexed look on her face when trying a first bite of a new food but then she'll continue eating. So what did she do when I had her taste test the carrots? She started gagging and tried not to swallow! I tried another bite and she gagged until she threw up the little bit she'd eaten. Needless to say I was crushed!

I got up the courage to try again today and made peaches, pears, and peas. I wasn't sure about the peas but you can't go wrong with tasty fruit right? Avery ate all three - no gagging whatsoever. She wasn't wild about the peas but I've always thought they were her least favorite food. I'm looking forward to trying some more foods.

In other news Avery fed herself some puffs today. This is an accomplishment particularly because of the fine motor skills involved. And also because she normally just throws them on the floor for me to pick up.
Snoozing in the car with Evan

1 comment:

LesleyH said...

Nicky hated carrots, too:) I have to say I understand - cooked carrots are not the yummiest thing, ya know? Glad you are enjoying your Magic Bullet.